One word: Deodorant

This day consisted of photographing, listing new work in my Etsy shop and shipping for an eternity. The photo above shows what part of my shipping load looked like today. It was kind of brutal, but I survived it. What I did not survive, however, was the long wait in line at the post office. I stood for approximately 15 minutes in a crowded and hot room, wedged between a teenage girl who was wearing her fanciest pair of pajamas and a man who looked like a cross between Wayne Newton and the Godfather. That wasn't the bad part. The horrendous scent of body odor that filled every nook and cranny of the room and my lungs was the bad part. This is the third time within a week that I have encountered people with BO so strong that not only did it bring tears to my eyes but it put me in a headlock, punched me in the stomach a few times and laughed as I laid on the ground gasping for air. Did I miss the memo stating that deodorant was no longer fashionable? Is bathing suddenly passé? Is it now acceptable to walk around smelling like a mixture of compost, raw onions and death? I for one will balk this trend and carry on with my clean, fresh as a daisy ways. I hope all of you will join me. :)

Thankfully I was lucid enough when I got home to open up a Christmas card from my grandparents. Every year my very talented grandmother, Shirley Geller, creates a card for the holidays using one of her original pen and ink drawings. I think she outdid herself this year with this fabulous peacock (and little friend). Isn't it just wonderful? I would love to have this design printed on a t-shirt or, better yet, tattooed somewhere. I think I might be due for some new ink.... :)

Comments

Stephanie said…
That IS a beautiful card! It would make for a fabulous tattoo.
SarahKelley said…
Deoderant clogs your pores . . . at least I think thats the reasoning. No wait, maybe it causes cancer?
The Noisy Plume said…
Oh yes she DID outdoooooo
herself this year!
That's one lovely little card.
planettreasures said…
glad you survived the near death by BO at the PO.
Your grandmother is very talented, that is a beautiful card.
Dani said…
You are so stinkin' funny!!! Why is it the entity is following you around this holiday season? I seriously laughed out loud at this post. Besides the studio, I have run into this in stores and even worse, the grocery store.

Your Grandmother is so talented!! Let me know when you go for the ink and if you need company!! I'll join you!!!
*sniffs the air*

Talent runs in your family...love the peacock card.
peacockfairy said…
How funny - I braved some bad BO at the post office yesterday too!

Love, love, love the card!!! Is her work available for sale?
Rosanne said…
Wow! Grandma is very good at what she does, I'd put it on a t-shirt myself. I know about the lines at the post office I had to brave them myself. For a couple of days USPS online service wasn't working. I mean its only the busiest time of the year!?! I saw my pieces in that picture...
wahoo! Lastly I will comment on the BO, I have this thing (my husband calls it my dump look). It just comes over my face when disgusting things are near me. I really have to watch myself, can't help the look and usually I have to get out of line till the offensive thing(persons) have gone.
That makes for longer times in line than I really like to spend.
I don't know this for sure, but I think after a while you can't smell yourself...roflmao!
Gaea said…
Wow. What a wonderful illustration! My grandmother did carved linoleum hand printed holiday cards. I inherited the blocks from her and should dig them out. What a treasure you have! I am shuddering with laughter at your trip to the B.O. Er... I mean P.O. Thank goodness your post is not a scratch n' sniff!
Helen Carter said…
But don't you have to admire the fortitude involved in smelling that bad in the middle of Winter? Just a little bit?
Osceola Pottery said…
Grandma has it goen on!
What a beautiful card, I can see where you get your some of your creativity from.
As for the BO, deodorant is not that expensive. 2 words, Dollar Store.
Andrew Thornton said…
Looks like I'm not the only one with adventures at the post office!
modernemama said…
Now that is awesome. She is a very talented women. Any plans for Shirley Geller cards on etsy?
One thing worse than no deodorant at the post office? No deodorant on a plane. On a 10 hour flight.

Popular Posts