An original steampunker


Meet Miss Emma Josephine Miller from Middletown, NY. Born October 1, 1868. Died June 9, 1888 (most likely not long after this photo was taken). I found her today while browsing around an antiques shop and was quite thrilled to see that she is wearing a skeleton key brooch. Last month I pondered the origin of the use of skeleton keys in jewelry so the discovery of this photo seemed quite fortuitous. And take a look at her embellished dress! She has more rigging than a sea-bound warship! (You know, back when there was such a thing as sea-bound warships...)

Anyhoo, I hope you enjoy Emma like I do. Her brief twenty years on earth can still bring a smile over 120 years later. :)

Comments

Andrew Thornton said…
I don't think I could carry off the rigging quite like she does.
Round Rabbit said…
I beg to differ! I can see you in a Michael Jackson type jacket, rigged to the hilt! It could be your trademark look!

Popular Posts