Glaze, will you marry me?

Last week I made about 200+ "stones" all for the purpose of setting them in silver. I focused on shape and color. Simple shapes, extraordinary color. Many years ago I started to make porcelain jewelry as a way to wear glaze. My love of glaze hovers somewhere between obsessive and scary - if glaze were a person I would stalk it 24/7. I'm almost that freaky about shapes. Simple shapes can be so dynamic and can cause the viewer to say things like "Huh, I am so drawn to this piece but I don't know why. The shapes are so simple and yet I am blown away by all these complex feelings I have welling up inside me."

Really. You've never said that to yourself? Anyway.... these are my two latest rings. Both feature gorgeous glazed pieces of porcelain in simple shapes, framed by simple shapes. Simple enough.
(scroll to the bottom of this post for some fun ring facts!)




Fun ring facts! (or, answers to the most commonly asked questions)
  • All of my new rings are one of a kind pieces. Though I may make other rings in similar styles at some point I will not be making any exact copies. That way, when you purchase a ring from me you can feel extra special in the knowledge that you have something that no one else has, and never will. (And I won't lose my joy of creating by making the same things over and over and over...)
  • At this time I cannot take any special orders for rings. The reason behind this is simply because I am just not that experienced in making them. I can't seem to get sizes just right - I start out to make a size 7 and end up with an 8 - and I just don't want the pressure of having to please someone other than myself. (selfish. me.)
  • I cannot resize my rings. They are what they are. If you see a ring that you like and it is too big or too small perhaps you could look into finger transplants (which I hear are HUGELY popular in certain parts of southern Europe;). No, really, I am trying to make rings in a variety of sizes so hopefully at some point there will be one in your size that will warm the cockles of your heart. :)
So that's all for now. I will be putting both rings in the shop momentarily, and hopefully some other pretty things as well.

Comments

Those rings are killer! The shapes are so retro...and the glazes are amazing.

I started using ceramic scrap to mosaic so that I could "contain" those amazing glazes that I fell in love with.

Each little glazed stone, chunk or shard is like a living world. The glaze says so much!
peacockfairy said…
So pretty! Loving the new rings!
Spirited Earth said…
you are knocking me out with these rings..
i'm gonna marry that blue one.
great work..

glaze..what a funny thing it is.
TesoriTrovati said…
You always manage to warm the cockles of my heart!
I love these new rings. Tomorrow is my birthday. I think I will start stalking them now to be ready to pounce when the right size and glaze comes along.
Enjoy the day!
Erin
Katie said…
OMG I love the rings so much! And the cobalt one is my size...Aaargh...If it's still there tonight, I will have to find a way to convince myself that a) I don't really need it or b) I need to beg my husband to be OK with me getting it...

This bead diet thing just ain't working...

Katie :o)
cookingwithgas said…
The rings are spot on- keep them coming!
Silver Parrot said…
I love both the shapes and colors - you are really doing some extraordinary things here!
Pretty Things said…
Your sterling work is so pristine -- and your hands look terrific! Mine are just torn to shreds.
Gardanne said…
Wait a minute glaze is glass, and glass is already married to me. Keep those rings coming.
Gaea said…
They are wonderfully beautiful! Are you sure you haven't been doing this for years? Maybe in your sleep?
Alice said…
I feel that way about lampwork beads, and smooth sea glass--and now glazes thanks to you. Not sure I would marry them, but I do tend to stalk lampwork beads on the web. Please don't turn me in to the authorities.

The rings are beautiful!
MissFifi said…
Oh my, my I covet those rings something awful! Beautiful work.
I totally understand the glaze obsession... My professor in college used to say: "I know you are in the glaze room a lot, and have all these test glazes and test tiles: but remember form".
I think that you almost have to work backwards then together in a rhythm... color and form go hand and hand...
I have some test tiles I am going to be posting about on BOC blog next Friday that I'm literally sleeping with (fell asleep with them on my bed last night)...

Beautiful work as always!

Popular Posts