Oh my stars!

My favorite purchase at Bead Fest was patterned brass and copper sheet metal that we found in the Metalliferous booth. I bought a bunch and now I wish I had purchased more because I absolutely love the stuff. I had this ring in mind the second I saw the brass with stars on it and I am pretty please with the way it came out - pretty much just as I had imagined.

I love how sterling silver looks when paired with other metals so I gave this ring a nice chunky band and fine silver bezel to compliment the warm brass. A dark, grungy patina helped to pull the whole piece together and really bring out the star pattern. Oh, and I can't forget to give a little credit to the cute little piece of porcelain I made in yummy mottled cobalt blue. He (yes, he) looks oh so galaxy which is why I used the star patterned brass in the fist place.

I had a lot of fun making this ring and I learned a few new things. Since my journey into metalsmithing is completely self-taught I am learning as I go, often times simply pushing ahead purely based on intuition. This is such a satisfying way to work though I am sure there are much easier ways to do some of the things I am attempting. Thankfully there are no master metalsmiths watching over my shoulder as I work. They would surely get a good laugh out of it.:)
This ring can be found in the shop. :)

Comments

WOW! I LOVE it! Awesome job!!
Amy Nicole said…
I think all self taught metalsmiths feel that way, but the end result is the same, so who cares? I took classes to learn the "proper" way to do things, and discovered my way worked for me better. Your intuition seems to be serving you quite well!
Helen Carter said…
You are busting out all over! This is fantastic. I really like the brass and silver combo. Heck I like the whole thing.
Absolutely stellar, Nancy. :)
Unknown said…
What a gorgeous ring! Love it!
charity said…
omg. you were born to make these--- and the other rings you have been coming out with. i WILL own one some day! (just in case you want to throw some size six-ish ones in there!!) i am LOVING what you are coming out with. totally fresh. fantastic!
Your ring is gorgeous! The great thing about being self taught is that you don't have any 'rules' imposed on you and you can become more innovative. The tricks the masters know that make things more efficient will come with practice.
Unknown said…
Nicely done! So cool seeing how you are putting things to use that you bought just last weekend. And in my head, I heart Kerry's voice saying Oh My Stars! :D
Lorelei Eurto said…
STINKIN' GLORIOUS!
SIMPLY OUTSTANDING!

(running from the computer, calling out)"GOTTA GO PLAY WITH MY BRASS SHEETING!
Silver Parrot said…
It's gorgeous - love that star patterned brass!

Popular Posts