Scribbling for a good cause

I posted a few work in progress photos of this necklace a little while ago, and here is the finished piece. It is composed of steel wire, sterling silver and my own hand-carved porcelain beads. I really enjoyed combining the matte, cool steel with the shiny sterling, and tossing a few of my beads in the mix. It has that scribbly feel that I developed a love for when I made my Bead Soup piece, though even more so. I love the almost manic vibe it has going on.

I made this piece as a donation to a fund raiser for the Andrew Geller Architectural Archive Preservation event to be hosted by the wonderful folks at the East Hampton, NY branch of Design Within Reach. Andrew Geller is my grandfather, so this project is close to my heart. I donated several pieces of jewelry and there will be paintings by my mother, grandmother and grandfather also up for silent auction. If you happen to be in the Hamptons this weekend be sure to pop in. Unfortunately, I have a show and can't be there myself, which really bums me out.

This week's Self Portrait Thursday is dedicated to my grandfather. I'm wearing a t-shirt with an image of his iconic Pearlroth House, standing in front of a 1974 calender with his Elkin House, which is my favorite. My Papa rocks! :)

Comments

Nicki said…
I like it a lot - shows your wild side :)
Spirited Earth said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Spirited Earth said…
this is one beautiful necklace,the addition of your beads adds spark.
i love the combo of steel and ceramics..

what are your thoughts on sealing steel wire or not, i've been reading different things and now confused about it
mairedodd said…
the necklace is stunning - i love the scribbly effect... and your family does rock - your grandfather's work is so imaginative... sorry you cannot be at the fundraiser... but you are representing yourself in a huge way!
Rebecca said…
I love this necklace! Your hand carved beads are just stunning.
Gardanne said…
I love this, the contrast of the steel and bright silver is wonderful. Good luck and your talented Grandpa's benefit.
Alice said…
That is an amazing piece! I could stare at it all day and find something new about it.

I'm curious about the steel too, as I hear it can rust easliy. Maybe not if its sealed.....? I really like the industrial look of it.
Round Rabbit said…
Thanks for all the kind words!

A few words and tips about using steel wire... I rub the wire down with a wet nap quite thoroughly before I work with it. Just until there is no sign of any black coming off. Then, make sure the wire is dry - that is when rusting can happen, though I have never had this happen myself. You can spray the wire with clear acrylic spray if you are worried about rusting, but I don't. You would have to spray the wire before you work with it (unless you don't mind spraying your beads or whatever else you might have in your piece) and with the way I work I would probably rub off all the sealer when I made my piece anyway. A better option is to lightly wipe the wire with a cotton ball which has been very lightly coated with oil. Mineral oil or even a nice smelly essential oil works just fine.

Hope that info helps. Mostly you just don't want to get your finished piece wet. Unless you want rust - which could look very cool on the right piece. Oh, maybe purposely rust it and THEN seal it!! Ideas, ideas!!!
Pretty Things said…
Audible gasps when I saw that piece. Utterly, completely, drop dead amazing.

Popular Posts