Odds and ends..

P1600273

Just a quick post to fill in some blanks and tie up loose ends. Several people asked for some more information on the painting that was shown in my last Face-down Tuesday shot, so here it is.

It's a large pointillism painting by my grandfather, Andrew Geller. He painted this for my wedding present nearly 20 years. Yes, I got married when I was 12. It's true. The marriage only lasted about 13 years (who really knows what they want at 12?) but the painting remains. (And so does another huge portrait of me, my ex and my very first house rabbit that was named Corduroy.... that one does NOT hang above any mantle, needless to say...) There are all kinds of secret hidden things going on in this painting, including my grandfather's not so subtle self-portrait in the clouds.

Anyhoo, I am very lucky to have many, many wonderful works of art by both of my grandparents. With the passing of my grandmother last Summer and the declining health of my grandfather they take on new, deeper levels of meaning.

I wanted to thank everyone who participated in my blog link exchange! And if you haven't, please feel free to check it out and see if it is something you would like to do. I apologize to anyone who I may have missed that has been linking to me for a while. I try to tell by my stats who links to me and where people are coming from but I can't always see everything. So please let me know if I have missed you and I will add you right away.

Playing with colored porcelain..

In other news... I spent part of today playing with some colored porcelain. That was fun! Can't wait to see how it looks fired. The lighter clay on the left is lavender and the other is teal, obviously. It felt like I was playing with Play Doh today. A nice break from stuffy, snobby, grown-up white porcelain.

P1600389

And finally I wanted to share this cute little pair of earrings with you. They make me happy in this wonderful pistachio green glaze. :)





Comments

Thanks so much for posting a picture of the painting by your grandfather. I'm even more in love with it now that I can see the whole thing.
Hi, I just started following your blog, I love the painting by your grandfather, it is amazing. Also can't wait to see what you do with your bead soup x

Deb
Rebecca said…
Can't wait to see how your coloured porcelain turns out - it looks exciting! Your Grandfather's painting is stunning - you must feel so proud to have such a connection to such unique piece. Oh, and also - I have a link to you on my blog (songbeads)! Love the pistachio glaze too :-)
I have never seen or heard of colored porcelain = I can't wait to see what it looks like fired!
Unknown said…
Love the painting your grandfather did. I really like the colored porcelain, the colors are beautiful. Will you glaze with other colors?

Love your earrings too!
stacilouise said…
It feels wonderful enough when you have beautiful works of art surrounding you, but to have one so special and personal is really something amazing. It is a wonderfilled (yes, filled, not full;) painting with sooo much to see. I love it.

The colored porcelain looks really fun. Unfortunately- I only get to play with real play doh! Which doesn't make for good jewelry, however, they kids say its delish! (eww, I know)
Tess Julia said…
I just found your blog today but it looks amazing, and that painting by your grandfather- Wow! That style of painting always amazed me.

Popular Posts