This ring tried to kick my ass

I had a brainstorm several days ago to create this ring. The idea came in a flash so I immediately set to work thinking that it would only take me a few hours at most. I was wrong, for several reasons. The biggest reason of all is that I pretty much still have no idea what I am doing. I understand the mechanics of it all but have zero formal training so it's a bit like teaching myself how to ballroom dance by watching videos on Youtube. I can do it but I'm klutzy and slow and THANK GOD(!) no one is watching me.
I am so pleased with the outcome, however, that all my struggling and cursing was quickly forgotten.

It all started with this large stoneware disk bead that I made a little while ago. The green glaze was screaming "I need to be paired with copper!!!!" so I thought it best to listen to it.

I cut a freeform piece of copper and hammered a nice texture on it. A sterling silver tube was soldered in the center and sawed in fours to become a star rivet which holds the disk in place quite nicely.

This was the tricky part. I wanted to float the copper, which was now dapped somewhat into a bowl shape, on a piece of sterling. I wanted sterling to be the metal that touches the skin so as to avoid that whole pesky green finger problem that copper causes.

After several attempts I was finally successful and managed to create the layered look I was hoping for. You can kind of see it in the photo above - all the layers doing their own thing.
I finished the piece with a chunky sterling band. Ta-da!
I love it and probably won't take it off any time soon. It is huge and will double nicely as a means of self-defense if necessary. :)

Comments

Folk Heart said…
It is just fabulous! Ta-da, indeed.
lisa b. said…
Love it!! Your out of the box and no boundries style inspires!!
That is an awesome ring! Love the colors in it.
Holly said…
This is lovely!!
mairedodd said…
this is fabulous - i am working my way through this as well and had 2 rings that just didn't make the cut today... it is funny, the other day you asked if others make things over and over until they are sick of it... i was going to say 'no'... but when it comes to rings, i can just work at one after the other...
i have to tell you, the shank is beautifully constructed - where is this practice you need?!
Unknown said…
LOVING how you riveted your disk with the silver tube to the copper, what a fabulous idea?!
elisabeth said…
Awesome - I love it.
Nice construction getting the layering to work out without having that green finger issue! I love irregular cut out metal - especially when paired with clay.

That photo showing the sterling - the ring upside down - is SO yummy with the way the silver looks well worn and old already. Which may be just the lighting (hard to tell online) but it looks like it would be one of those rings that if you were selling it at the show, and I tried it on, I would have to buy it, no matter what the price.

Nice rivet too. I just have to ask: Has it gotten stuck in your hair at all or does the size in general give your hand that aware of it feeling and it just does not go places like that without "knowing it".

I really enjoy seeing you and MJ and others making so many rings…

Popular Posts